Friday, July 30, 2004

Moving Mientkiewicz

One way or another, this situation is less than ideal. At the start of the week, when it looked like Dougie would be gone by Tuesday, I thought it would be the perfect trade. And then the days lingered on. And now, after all the reports I've read and all the different rumored trade offers, I'm not sure on anything anymore. On one hand, if we do end up with Benson, I'm starting to wonder just how good he will be for us. He's not that spectacular, especially in a playoff situation (assuming, of course, that the pressure will get to him). I just get bad vibes from it all, really. But on the other hand, now we HAVE to get rid of Mientkiewicz. I see no other way. Him and Gardenhire are reportedly at odds with each other, and that seems to be where all this trade talk sprouted from. While he may not have been a clubhouse cancer last week, if he doesn't find his way out of Minnesota, he will become one fast. So in one way, I don't really want Benson, but if that's what we can get for Mientkiewicz, I'll take him. But I hope Terry Ryan is working hard trying to come up with something else out of the blue. I'm thinking maybe Mientkiewicz plays for the Twins tomorrow night and switches over by Saturday's game as he gets traded to Boston. Perhaps that's what the hold up is; Carl Pohlad is too cheap to pay for a plane ticket, so some kind of trade with Boston has been on the table all week. God, I can only hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home