Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Welcome To Turning The Unassisted Double Play

Welcome to Turning The Unassisted Double Play, my own personal Minnesota Twins blog. I've been a long time reader of baseball blogs, especially about the Twins. I've fallen in love with Twins Geek and Aaron Gleeman and Batgirl and so many more over the years. I've always loved writing about the Twins whenever possible. Well, truthfully, I've always loved writing about anything, but when I can talk about baseball, that's the best.

Really, the only thing that's stopped me from making a Twins blog sooner was I've had no clue what to call it. I tossed around a few names in my head, but nothing sounded right. Eventually, I settled on "Turning The Unassisted Double Play." I like this name because it's unique and very personal to me. My greatest baseball moment on the field itself was a pick-up game in gym class. I was playing right field, but it was almost more like back-up first base, because we had about fifteen kids to a team (but yet the ball never seemed to find a fielder). I seemed to be the only one with any substantial baseball knowledge, so I was prepared. There was a runner on first when the ball was hit right at the first baseman. The first baseman was the only other kid in the class who seemed to have his role down in the field, but I decided I'd back him up anyway, just in case. It turned out to be a blessing that I did, because the ball hit off his head as he lost it in the midday sun. I was prepared for what I instinctively knew would be the defining moment in my high school gym career. As the ball took a short bounce off his head, I quickly grabbed it in the air, getting the fly out, then running quickly to tag the runner as he was trying to head back to first base.

I've never amounted to much in any sport, from my early days in a five year old tee-ball league to neighborhood softball games where I was the only boy playing on either team to the annual company volleyball game. I always knew a lot about the sports we would play, but applying that knowledge and using it toward some form of athletic endeavor was something I simply could not do. Okay, lets face it, I sucked at sports. But that one day under the warm, May sun, playing baseball on the South High football field, made me realize the beauty of the unassisted double play.

What I hope to do with this blog is bridge the gap between Twins Geek and Batgirl. I love to have irreverent fun with the Twins, but I'm not afraid of the occasional stat or two. I can't wait to see future Twins as they're coming up through the minors, but I also hold a place for remembering baseball's past.

I'd like to say that I love everything about baseball, but it wouldn't be true. I hate the Yankees.

Please join me each day for Twins talk and analysis. And if you're ever playing a game, keep your eye open for that unassisted double play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home